11/6/19

Traditional Japanese Ryokan - Kokuya

Traditional Japanese Ryokan - Kokuya





If you have been following this blog, you probably heard about Kokuya, a traditional Japanese Ryokan located in Nagano prefecture. I visited Kokuya during my trip across Japan and I really loved it. The whole area and Shibu Onsen Kokuya itself reminded me of traditional Japan. Everything is decorated in a traditional way, the rooms, baths, even the staff wears traditional clothing. 



The room in which I stayed was quite large and included a private open-air bath with hot spring water, which was one of the highlights of the whole room. The room itself consisted of several areas. First one is a small entrance hall where you would leave your shoes upon entering the room. Then there was a bathroom which had a bidet toilet and a bathtub. The main room consisted of a large area that was intended for several tatami mats, traditional Japanese beds, and also had a traditional Japanese table. Then there was a small sunroom which had a table and several chairs, so you could relax there if you did not prefer the traditional table. 



And of course, there was a small outside courtyard which includes my own private open-air bath with hot spring water. I was able to enjoy a quick bath whenever I wanted all the while enjoying the fresh mountain air. The room also had standard amenities such as these flat TV, safe box, refrigerator, air purifier and humidifier, many toiletries and so on. All in all, the room was absolutely perfect in my opinion. I had everything I needed and more and it truly made me feel like I was living in old Japan. I suggest that everyone experiences this at least once in their lifetime if not more. I know I will definitely return here when I come back to Japan!



Everything about Shibu Onsen Kokuya left a good impression on me, but the thing that impressed me the most was the high-quality traditional dinner and breakfast they serve there, all made from local ingredients. I was there for 2 nights and enjoyed every meal they prepared for me. The first dinner was a full course and included amazing meals such as boiled Shinsyu-Wagyu-Roast beef, local salmon, steamed egg custard with eel, cooked duck, deep-fried tofu and many more. Most of these I have never tried before in my life, and I was stunned by all the delicious meals I had discovered. The staff member that was serving the dinner was quite helpful and she explained every meal to me. 



On the second dinner I had a similar experience, tasty and unique traditional dishes from local ingredients, prepared and served with care and precision. I also had the chance to try a locally brewed beer and I have to say I was positive surprised by the quality. 
The breakfast was similar, but I also had an option to have a Western breakfast instead of a traditional Japanese one, so each morning I had a different one. Japanese traditional breakfast included a bowl of freshly cooked rice, fresh vegetables and fruit, and Kokuya’s signature onsen tamago—soft-boiled eggs cooked in hot spring water, while the Western food you can get in many hotels, but with a unique spin.



I have to say that the meals I had in Kokuya were the best part of my whole stay there, and that says a lot since the whole stay was a great experience. Both the rooms, baths, and sightseeing, all were amazing, but the meals we're on another level. I wholeheartedly recommend that you check out Shibu Onsen Kokuya and book stay here if you want to experience the additional side of Japan. I'm sure you will enjoy every minute of your stay at this unique place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment